‘Flueing and ventilation for gas appliances of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net (1st, 2nd and 3rd family gases). Specification for installation of gas appliances to chimneys and for maintenance of chimneys‘
ISBN number: 978 0 580 57065 0
Product code: 30150794
Publication Date: 31st Mar 2008
BS 5440-1:2008 specifies requirements for the installation of gas appliances to chimneys, chimney installation work likely to be undertaken by gas engineers, and operatives working under UK gas industry conditions, and requirements for the maintenance of chimneys.
BS 5440-1 is applicable to open flue chimneys for Type B gas appliances and room-sealed chimney configurations for Type C gas appliances, each of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net family gases. It is applicable to:
Complete chimney and all chimney components from the appliance connection to the discharge point into outside air .
The installation of gas appliances to existing chimneys that were intended originally for appliances burning other fuels.
Chimneys for residential park homes but not to chimneys for leisure accommodation vehicles.
BS 5440-1 specifies the following:
Requirements for the selection of the appropriate flueing option for gas appliances in the UK.
Requirements for the installation of gas appliances to new chimneys, or chimney configurations.
Requirements for the installation of gas appliances to existing chimneys or chimney configuration.
Requirements for the installation of appliances which carry a CE mark and for which the manufacturer’s instructions are available to the installer.
Requirements installation of appliances which do not carry a CE mark and used/second-hand appliances for which the manufacturer’s instructions are available to the installer.
BS 5440-1:2008 supersedes BS 5440-1:2000+A2:2005, which is withdrawn.
- Pages: 122
- BSi Committee: GSE/30
- Related Standards:
- ‘BS 715
- BS 5440-2:2000+A2:2004
- BS 5546
- BS 5864
- BS 5871-1
- BS 5871-2
- BS 5871-3
- BS 6230
- BS 6798
- BS 6896
- BS 7461
- BS EN 161
- BS EN 1443:2003
- BS EN 1457
- BS EN 1806
- BS EN 1856-1
- BS EN 1856-2
- BS EN 1857:2003
- BS EN 1858
- BS EN 13384-2
- BS EN 15287-1:2008
- BS EN 15287-2:2008
- BS EN 60079-10:2003
- IGE/UP/7:2006 (Edition 2)
- BS 715:1989
- BS 715:1993
- BS 1289:1975
- BS 1289-1:1986
- BS 5440-1:2000+A2:2005
- BS 5534
- BS 5871-4
- BS 6644
- BS 7927
- BS 7967-4
- BS 7977-2
- BS 8000-6
- BS EN 1949
- BS EN 13384-1
- BS EN 50379-3
- PD CEN/TR 1749:2005
- Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
- Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2004
- Building Regulations 2000
- Building Regulations (Northern Ireland) Statutory Rules 2000
- Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations 1990
- Building Regulations (Isle of Man) Order 2003
- Gas Appliances (Safety) Regulations 1995
- Gas Safety (Application) (Isle of Man) Order 1996
- HSC L56:1998
- Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974
- Building Regulations Approved Document F:2006
- Building Regulations Approved Document J:2002
- CORGI. Gas industry unsafe situations procedure:2005
- Asbestos (Prohibitions) Regulations 1992
- CORGI. TB 200:2007
- ODPM. Guide to the Condensing Boiler Installation Assessment Procedure for Dwellings:2005‘
Subjects Related to BS 5440-1:2008: ‘Flues - Chimneys - Ventilation - Gas-powered devices - Heaters - Boilers - Installation - Maintenance - Exhaust systems - Ventilation equipment - 1st family gases - 2nd family gases - 3rd family gases - Natural ventilation - Mechanical ventilation - Safety measures‘